Friday, March 19, 2010

Who really benefits?

Once again the Big Brothers/Big Sisters Program (BB/BS) continues to bless and amaze me! As a "big" I know I'm supposed to be mentoring my "little" but wow--these kids put life into such perspective. Each time I'm with my little I feel like I'm the one getting benefiting from the program.

I know I write about BB/BS a lot, but I am so passionate about it! You might recall from an earlier post that my first "little" Melanie moved away, and broke my heart; the good news is I got her address today just in time to send her a birthday card next week! YEAH!

And, the other bit of good news is I was re-matched with my second "little" Kat, short for Kathleen. Tonight was our 4th meeting, and I took her to my house for the first time. Her eyes got big as saucers when we walked into my modest home and she wanted to know how many people lived there and why I didn't have pets. How do you explain to someone who shares a one-bedroom home with 5 people that one person lives in three-bedroom home? It was awkward...especially when I had just finished the talk on how we can't do an activity that costs money every week like we had the first three weeks, because in her eyes I was "rich."

Now, just to set the record straight, I am not a gourmet cook. I can make some pretty killer grilled meat and veggies; and a few other items, and I love to bake. And, I mainly cook on weekends when I have time. Tonight I had put in 10 hours at the office, picked up Kat, and driven home with the thought of spaghetti or tacos. She chose spaghetti, and for tonight it was Ragu in the jar and some pasta. She ate two helpings like it was the best food she'd ever had! Then, we played Yahtzee, where she whooped me both games, and we headed back to town. She explained that her Mom was going to meet us because she had just got done at her cousin's 10th birthday party. WHOA!! I asked her why she hadn't rescheduled with me to go to her cousin's party, and her reply, "Well, we're family too. You're my big sister." If that doesn't melt your heart, nothing will.

On the way back to town with the sleet hitting the windshield, she asked if I had ever been to Hawaii, and I told her no, but I would like to go there someday when I was married. She didn't miss a beat, "Maybe I can come with you." I just had to smile. I told her Hawaii was a lot more fun when you get out of college! (at least that is what I've heard)

So, once again, I wonder who is benefiting from this big/little relationship? Sure Kat gets to do cool things with me like go to the Lipizzaner Stallions (which I discovered I'm allergic to), paint ceramics, go ice skating and eat McDonalds. But I get to do those things with her and am reminded to count EVERY blessing, both large and small and never, ever take anything for granted. I think I'm coming out ahead on this deal.

1 comment:

  1. Just read this and again... with tears in my eyes! Thanks SO much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete