Monday, March 1, 2010

We are family


It always makes me smile that my first words as a child were not "mama" or "daddy" but instead "bye-bye" and I don't mean this any disrespect to my parents whom I love so dearly. Instead, it should have been a warning to them at a VERY early age, that I was going to be the traveling type. That being said, I am fortunate to have "family" in what seems like every corner of the United States. No, we're not related by blood or marriage, but we're tied together by life experiences and sometimes that makes us closer than blood could on any given day.

Every time one of these "relatives" achieves a milestone I get so excited for them, and when they claim defeat, a little piece of my heart breaks for them too. Many of my extended family are those I attended college with and that I've met through my 11 plus years at the American Angus Association.

Take my buddy, Brandon who I judged with at Colby. We became "blood brother and sister" one day in the parking lot of the dorms in the early 90s using his dirty pocket knife--no one said we were real smart but we did have fun! I'll never forget the sound of his voice on the other end of the line when he called me last November when I was in Louisville to tell me his dad had suffocated in a grain bin. I felt so helpless knowing I had the biggest event of my work year ahead of me and I couldn't be physically in Western Kansas with him and his family. But, just last week, he called again, to say, "Stella, you're gonna be an aunt again!" And of course, he asked his same round of questions he always asks--Why wasn't I married; what was I waiting for; when was I coming Kansas to see him and the family? He's definitely the brother I never asked for, but one I could never live without either.

Of course, I have a slew of "nieces and nephews" and the title of "Aunt Shelia" or "Aunt Shera" as Livy says is one I will always cherish. These little people are so important to me, and though some are not so little anymore (Grace will be 16 this fall), I love watching them grow up! Luckily most are involved in livestock shows, so I get to watch them show at some point. I just wish I got to see them all more often.

Then, there is my Angus family. Since I served as an advisor for the NJAA board for nine years, I became close with many of the young men and women who wore the green jackets on the Junior Board. Now, many of them are getting married and starting the next generation of Angus enthusiasts, and I almost feel like a "grandma" but thankfully, some of them still refer to me as "Aunt" Shelia and NOT granny! It's so much fun to see these young people succeed in their families and their careers! I'll always remember where I was when Trever told me that Krista was "the one" and when he called to tell me that Claire was born. And, just last weekend I got to see all three of them. It is great fun to go to Jr. Board weddings--almost like a little reunion! And, I was even fortunate enough to serve as the wedding photographer for one past NJAA member and Miss American Angus and now very dear friend, Jamie.


So, see it really is experiences not blood that makes a family. I thank God for my family each day and ask Him to watch over them and provide them health and safety. But I really am blessed to have such a wonderful "extended" family. I know my parents are thankful too.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Auntie Shelia,

    I'm so glad you mentioned me on your blog...I feel like a celebrity! It was good to see you at the beef expo.

    With Love,
    Claire Marie Kuipers
    (and my mommmy and daddy too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was beautiful and oh so true! Thanks for being that big "sis" to "my three sons"!
    Debbie Cassady

    ReplyDelete