Friday, March 5, 2010

A Heavenly Reunion

Last night I got the call I knew would come eventually, but one the selfish, nearly-37-year-old me was hoping would wait until after Easter. My mom left a message at nearly 10 p.m. (remember when I was still going strong at 10?) and said, "call me tonight". So, I called her to learn that my great-grandma Nona Kutschara had passed away. Like I said, this was expected, but it sent chills up my spine, because all day, I kept thinking, "I need to get Great Grandma a birthday card," and on my drive home I remembered that I had forgotten. You see, she was going to be 103 years old on March 14, and she adored getting mail.

I am so blessed that I had Great Grandma in my life as long as I did, as many of my friends don't even get to have grandparents in their lives; and I still have a pair of those, who are two of my best life mentors. I often reflect on Great Grandma and though we are from totally different generations, I see some of her in me sometimes.

She was a tough little lady. She survived the depression. She survived breast cancer. She survived on the farm by herself for three decades after Great Grandpa passed away. She's survived two heart attacks in the last few months. She knew how to work hard, provide for her family and save a dollar. She loved her daughters, grandkids, great grandkids and great-great grandkids. She loved farm animals, and fed any cat that came to her doorstep.

I will always remember Great Grandma for her homemade chicken and noodles, and according to her, you have to use an old hen to get the right flavor. She always brought a yellow box of the Whitmans sampler chocolates to holiday gatherings. She also crocheted doilies and tops of kitchen towels to hang from the refrigerator door or oven door. She was a quilter. I have at least 4 of her quilts and will always cherish her handiwork.

She was a stubborn woman, according to my grandma; but according to my mom, my grandma is stubborn and according to me my mom is stubborn; you might notice a pattern here. I think being stubborn was a survival tactic, and still is. :-)

I remember how tickled Great Grandma was when she moved herself to a town apartment from her big, lonely farm house and discovered cable TV and CMT, where they "played music all day long". She thought that was great! And, when she turned 100, there is a century club of ladies from all over the country that sent her knitted butterflies. .


They say traits skip generations, and this is definitely true with these four ladies, here: my mom, Great Grandma, me, and Grandma. Mom and Great Grandma are artists--quilters and make beautiful things with their hands. Grandma and I are social and planners--we can put together a party or event

But, today Great Grandma is at the best event she could imagine in the last 35 years. She is in Heaven with the love of her life--Great Grandpa. She is with one of the kindest men I've ever learned of, and she is with our Maker. She doesn't have to be a tough little lady anymore. God Bless you, Great Grandma.

2 comments:

  1. What a neat tribute, Shelia. I'm sorry for your loss, but I know you have wonderful memories of her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful Shelia! I'm so sorry for your loss!

    Love to you and your family!

    Tish

    ReplyDelete