Wednesday, March 10, 2010

It's in the Air!

When it comes to the weather, I'm like little bear's porridge, I want the temperatures to be "just right"; not too cold and not too hot. Perhaps that is why I have always loved Spring the most of the four seasons. Or maybe its the renewal of life--flowers blooming, trees budding and baby lambs and calves born on the ranch I was raised on. Or perhaps it is a combination of all of the above. Whatever it is, Spring is definitely in the air in Northwest Missouri right now, and I LOVE IT!!!

About a 1 1/2 years ago I took up walking due to doctor's orders and the positive influence of so many of my friends who are runners. Well, we've had a pretty brutal winter here, and I don't do treadmills, so I took the winter off. But last Wednesday, I decided was the day I was going to start my spring fitness routine. Just one week ago, I was literally dodging snow piles, water holes and mud on my usual route on Ashland Ave. Today, it was 50 degrees, the birds were chirping, squirrels were chasing each other, and the flowers were just starting to poke through soil. What a difference seven days can make!

The day light hours are longer, so now I get to see the sun at least twice a day. It is always a little sad to come to the office in the dark at 7 a.m., and leave the office at 7 p.m., and still never get to see the sun!

Soon the trees will be budding and my favorite lilacs will be blooming. One tradition I had at my first purchased home was planting a lilac each spring. That way, I could track the number of years I lived there. I will really miss that in my new generic sub-division.

I hope you all enjoy this season of birth and renewal as much as I do! Take a few extra minutes to soak up the sun or take in the smells of your favorite flowers. Afterall, there are more minutes of sun light and spring won't last forever. Pretty soon we'll be threatened by the humidity and bugs of summer! HAPPY SPRING!

No comments:

Post a Comment