Thursday, March 25, 2010

Back to the "W"

Last week I addressed the Global 4-H Conference in Kansas City, for about the fifth or sixth year. The conference is geared toward high school students and focuses on career exploration. I remember going to it myself as a young 4-H member from Northwest Kansas, and this year, I had about 32 youth from Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas and Oklahoma in my group.

Normally I give a two-hour presentation on Ag Journalism and Public Relations; but since my role at the Association changed slightly in August, I felt it somewhat hypocritical of me to talk only about journalism since I primarily focus my efforts on event planning and show management--still aspects of PR. So I made new slides, titled the "ABCs of Public Relations, Ag Journalism & Event Planning". I had at least one slide for each letter of the alphabet, and by the time I got to "W" I was running out of creativity. But my talk isn't just about career development, it's about personal development too, and I even talk about goal setting and have the individuals set short, medium and long range S.M.A.R.T. goals.

But, back to the "W". I made a slide about Words that always Work--you know the ones I'm talking about--Please, Thank you, How can I help. Well, this week I have received several thank you notes in the mail from these kids, and here are just a few excerpts from them:

"You really helped me because I want to do journalism, but never knew what it took. Now I know & I'm very glad that you came and helped me understand the things. Thank you."

"I learned a lot about of this workshop that I can use in my future career. You are a very talented and educated person and thank you for being involved in the 4-H Global Summit."

"It was so full of fun & info. It was the best workshop in my 3 years of coming to the KCGC!"

And, speaking of "Words that always Work" I would like to give a huge shout out to all those who read this blog regularly or are reading for the first time, encourage me in my writing and other endeavors and support me in all I do! I know I don't say it often enough, but thank you!

If you are reading this now, you have made a difference in my life at some point, and I appreciate you.

No comments:

Post a Comment