Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Easter. . .Simply Stated

Last night, I took a very special 6-year-old, Ella, out for dinner to I-HOP. This was a long-overdue “birthday” outing, as her mom suggests to me it is sometimes more fun for her to receive these outings from me than another wrapped gift of an outfit or toy. And, I agree. And, I-HOP had just opened last fall around the time of Ella’s birthday so I made her a little card promising her a “girl’s time at I-HOP.”

I had forgotten how insightful Ella was, as I haven’t got to spend as much time with her as I used to now that she is in school and involved in other activities and we have moved to opposite ends of town where we both used to live in the central part of town. She also reminded me the main reason it took us six months to get together for our outing is “because I go on too many trips!” Yes, she has that one right!

As we were driving down Ashland Ave., we went right by Ashland United Methodist Church, where we both attend. She said in a proud little voice, “That’s my church!” I told her that was my church too, and asked if she remembered seeing me there sometimes. She said, sometimes, but she goes to the “middle church and there are lots of people there.” She was right again! That’s when the contemporary service is and they have great uplifting music and it is way more packed than either of the traditional services. Last week, I wanted to go to a traditional Palm Sunday service, so I went to “late church” and it was great, so I asked Ella if during the “middle church” last Sunday all the kids waved palm branches down the aisle and she said indeed they did, and proceeded to tell me the Easter story she learned in Sunday school.

Ella explained that Easter is when Jesus comes back from the dead, because he died for our sins and went to Heaven, but Easter Sunday is when he comes back to life. But only Jesus comes back to life here on Earth. When people die they don’t come back to life until they get to Heaven.

Well put Ella! I’d say her parents, grandparents and Sunday School teachers get big kudos for that explanation. I couldn't explain the Easter story in in three sentences any simpler than that myself. Happy Easter, readers and remember the real reason for the Season!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, I know that Ella has been looking forward to this time with you. Glad it was so memorable. I am a proud Nana! Have a wonderful Easter with family!!!

    ReplyDelete