Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Four hours, three tourists, one stop

Last weekend, my friend and co-worker Robin and I headed East for the Mid-Atlantic Junior Angus Classic, where we and two NJAA directors helped with this junior show at Harrisonburg, VA. It was typical MAJAC weather--cold and damp, but we still had a great show evaluated by my friend Alan Miller. The show was over in good time on Sunday, and we dropped Chris Cassady off at Dulles Airport. Robin, Andrew Rogen and I had time to kill as we didn't fly out til EARLY on Monday morning. Andrew asked how far we were from Washington D.C., so we punched 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. into the Garmin and in less than 20 minutes we were in the heart of D.C., a place none of the three of us had ever been.

We didn't let a little mist in the air or a slight breeze dampen our experience! In a little more than 4 hours we walked 6 miles or so, saw the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Korean War Memorial, U.S. Capitol (from a distance), the White House, and the Treasury Department. And, I didn't even get honked at, which is better than I can say during Robin's and my drive to Whitestone Farm on Thursday, but that's another blog...

Here are Robin and I in front of the Washington Monument, both a little more enthusiastic about the "longer" daylight hours that daylight saving time provided!

And me, at the Washington Monument with the Lincoln Memorial in the far background. It was a damp, windy day, but we were three tourists with nothing but time, enthusiasm and cameras!





Honest Abe was huge! I was so glad to get to see these monuments and memorials at night with the lights on them. If the weather was going to be rainy and damp, might as well look for some positive!



I loved this shot of the flag, Washington memorial, and fountain. Once I get a subject, I could shoot it all day (you should see my Eiffel Tower pictures).




This Korean War Soldiers Memorial was very moving. It was so dark by the time we got there, it was almost like we were among the soldiers. A great reminder that freedom is indeed never free.

Finally, our parking garage was right near the National Press Building, and well there is still a little journalist left in me, so I couldn't resist one more posed shot!



Who knew that three friends could have so much free fun in one place in four short hours? I definitely will head back to D.C. in the near future, and once again was reminded that we must live each day to the fullest and take advantage of every opportunity! I mean, I could have sat in the Fairfield Inn and watched the March Madness selection, Facebooked and did my show report, but how much fun would that blog have been for you all to read?!?!

4 comments:

  1. You need to go back for Independence Day! Dozens of free concerts, all the museums are free and the Metro, that's free also. Keep on blogging, I enjoy both your FB verses to start my day and following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next trip head to the National Cathedral. You will never be able to get over the fact that there is NO METAL used in the structure. Visiting that on one of my DC trips has stayed with me for life and I hope, hope, hope to get back there someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I was 5 my dad has lived in North Arlington, so next time you head that way give me a call I can send u in the direction of some neat stuff that they don't have on the tourist map!

    ReplyDelete