Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Not in my town

Call me naive. Call me sheltered. But, who would have thought that homelessness existed in my town? That's right folks; here in St. Joe, Mo., population near 74,000 there is a homeless epidemic. I guess I am naive. Growing up in rural America, the only time I saw homeless people was when I went to the National Western Stock Show in Denver, and I never really associated St. Joe with the "big city" as it is so spread out and friendly. However tonight, I was exposed to another side of town.

For the past few months I have been on a personal cleaning spree that started with packing to move to my new digs last fall. I am not one to have patience with having a yard sale although wouldn't Grandma Raymer LOVE that if I did! Nor do I feel I have the time. But I do think I have some pretty good "stuff". So my friend at work, Sara, told me about the Grace House, a place downtown that was looking for donated items for St. Joe's needy. At the time, needy didn't equal homeless in my little brain.

I have taken several car loads of clothes, blankets, sheets, towels, dishes, purses, shoes, pots and pans down to the Grace House on Saturdays that I'm home, and have always left in awe with the number of folks in there picking out items. Tonight, with assistance (muscles and use of pickup), Don Laughlin and I took my loveseat and living room chairs to the Grace House, in anticipation of my very first "new" furniture that I purchased that will be delivered next week. The coordinator recognized me, asked me what church I attended, and said, "God Bless You!" with a smile, as she had just given away her last two sofas, and had other families in need. Then, I told her I had more clothes and shoes at home, and that is when Don's interest was sparked. He asked if she accepted men's clothing. Then, she started talking about the homeless, and how they needed "sturdy men's jeans" and "men's shoes or boots with good soles" because summer was coming and the homeless would be walking and sleeping near the river (Missouri) to stay cool. WHAT? That is when I acted calm and cool, and not so naive. I know I wrote about the homeless in Denver in January, but we're talking about the town I live in! I know life can be bad; I've seen some tough St. Joe neighborhoods in my other volunteering, but to sleep on the streets?!? I sure hope any of you readers know if your life ever gets that bad, you can always come stay with me!

So, now I have a new passion. Next Tuesday, and the Tuesdays and Saturdays I'm not traveling for the Association or for my own enjoyment, you might find me at 5th and Edmond. You might just find me at the Grace House. I have to apply to be a volunteer first. (I hope they accept me!) But, I really feel this is a great step to my calling that I've been searching for--helping others.

Next time you think, "not in my town" or "not in my lifetime" take a look around. You'll be suprised to what you might find. I was.

4 comments:

  1. I work with homeless youth in Sioux Falls. You're right about the fact that most people don't think it is happening in their hometowns. Good for you. I'm sure your volunteering will be appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all your travels, start collecting the shampoo, conditioner, etc. and donate them. Or donate the cleaning stuff to a school or the shelter. I gather all my freebies and give them to an inner city school that is nice enough to let their homeless kids come in and shower before school.
    Carry canned goods in your car in case you run into a panhandler. You can give them food or the cleaning stuff.
    You ROCK!

    ReplyDelete