Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Do YOU Believe in Angels?

I never really believed in angels until May 27, 2009, when on the eve of my 36th year I was introduced to Melanie Yang, who became my 8-year-old angel, that I wasn't aware I needed. You see May 27 was the night I was "matched" with Melanie, my "little" through the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program in Saint Joseph. And, though as the "big sister" volunteer I was supposed to help this youngster from a single-parent home, she opened my eyes and helped me grow more than anyone or anything really ever could.

You see, I am a self-proclaimed workaholic. For years, during my annual review, I have been criticized for putting in too many hours (I never knew that was a bad thing, but I blame my parents for my work ethic). But, then, late last spring, I met Melanie, and my life changed. Through BB/BS I was required to spend 2-4 hours per week with my little, and since I travel most weekends in the summer, that meant leaving the office at 4:30 (closing time) to pick her up and spend time with her before her mom's curfew of 8 p.m.

Our first night, we went over the ground rules, and then only had about 45 minutes, so we made our first trip to Baskin Robbins, a place she'd never been before. By summer's end, I made sure Melanie had ice cream whenever her heart desired! Throughout our weekly visits, we'd play mini-golf, talk walks along the River Walk, make crafts, bake cookies, go shopping, visit PetCo to watch the animals, play board games (Yahtzee, Monopoly and Life), eat out--I took her to her one and only trip to Olive Garden, but she was just as happy at McDonalds.

We participated in BB/BS match activities like a swimming party and movie night. As we gathered with other "matches" it amazed me how well the program paired the bigs and littles. Even though I grew to love Mel's little sister Tiffany, she was much more a girly-girl, and giggly and outgoing, where Mel was more like me--laid back, loved the outdoors, loved to bake cookies and was a little competitive. And, Tiff's big sister Pam was very well suited for her.

Tonight, was the night I knew was coming, but hadn't really prepared for. Melanie told me in early December that they would be moving to Minnesota to live with her grandparents, and that she didn't want leave her friends or me. I've talked to her each week about the move, and the art of being a pen-pal. I should know--my parents and I moved about every 4 years during my growing up years, and I still write and Facebook at least one friend from each of my schools. I have tried to be the adult--until tonight. When I picked Melanie up tonight she and Tiff showered me at their apartment door with gifts--a plush little teddy bear named Dena, a gift certificate to the mall, and a necklace that says #1 sister. That's when the tears started rolling. You see, I've never been a sister before--I've been a daughter, granddaughter, niece, and Aunt Shelia, but never really a sister. And, I knew right then, what started out as a very happy morning for me was going to end as a very sad night.



After we baked cookies and ate cookies and drank milk at my house, we took a few final pictures and headed back to Melanie's apartment. The tears streamed down my face the entire way, but I tried to keep the conversation light. I asked her what her favorite parts of our experience had been, and she replied, baking cookies, going to the River Walk and the first night we met. And, I have to agree. When we got to her apartment, Tiff insisted on a "group hug" one of my favorite weekly activities, and I thanked their mom for the nice gifts, now wearing the necklace. Her mom thanked me for all I had done for them. But she'll never know what that 8-year-old angel brought to my life--a new perspective.

If the littles get as much out of BB/BS as this "big" did in 8 short months, it has got to be one of the best organizations ever!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Shelia. I'm sorry you're "little" is moving away, but what an amazing experience for both of you. I'm sure you'll both keep in touch and it will be fun to see her grow up and change, even if it is long distance. Thinking of you both tonight. M

    ReplyDelete
  2. If blog spot had a like button...I would hit it!! I'm positive you were a great role model for Melanie and she will remember you for ages.

    ReplyDelete