Thursday, January 21, 2010

Real Life Grey's Anatomy

When I was a little girl, my parents always encouraged me to pursue any career path I wanted; however, my mom always added, "except nursing." Now, maybe this was from her years of experience as a Registered Nurse or perhaps mother's intuition. I mean, I love the Thursday-night TV show, "Grey's Anatomy", and "fixed" all my stuffed animals and dolls' ailments playing doctor. But today, I was reminded once again that Mom really does know best.

Today, Mom had surgery at Salina Surgical Hospital in Kansas. And even as the surgeon was describing the procedure post-op, I was feeling a little queasy. It really is amazing me that I can donate platelets at the drop of dime or watch animals being born or even go through a cattle harvesting facility without passing out.

Then, after what felt like an eternity, my dad and I finally got to go back to her room. I don't do well with those cords, tubes and machines either, but Mom had warned me on the phone the night before (mother's intuition at work again). THEN, Tanya, the prettiest, sweetest nurse who was attending to my mom, and Darcy decided it was time to make my mom walk--I understand this is good for the blood flow and to get her organs working. But my mom got dizzy, and faint, and I thought I was going to get that way myself. So, it was time for me to hit the lobby and return yesterday's voice mails!

Basically, God has given us all a purpose on this earth. It takes special people like Tanya and Darcy to be nurses and take care of those in need--people who are caring and compassionate about others and can stomach anything.

This blog is dedicated to my friends and family in the medical profession: Mom, Terri Svoboda, Jessica Sawyer, Ashley Davis, Barry Pollard, Shirley Pearson, Chris Smith, Mallory Trosper, Iris, Tara, Margaret, Jo and Amy (my friends at Community Blood Center), Dr. Makos (my AWESOME neurologist) and anyone else who practices medicine and takes cares of others! THANK YOU! As for me, I'll stick to event planning and cattle photography. . .two things my stomach can handle. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment