Sunday, January 31, 2010

I'm an airline snob. . .it's only Soutwest for me!

Over the weekend, I attended the Fort Worth Stock Show, and though it is just a 9-hour drive, weather this time of year is always tricky and it really is a "quick trip" for me, so I opted to fly down and back. Unfortunately, DFW isn't serviced by number one choice of airlines--Southwest. So, though I was only in the air a grand total of 3 hours or maybe less during the entire trip, I was reminded by their competitor, whose name will remained unmentioned but sounds somewhat like the country we live in, why I dread flying anyone but Southwest!

First, I got to the counter in KC, not to be greeted by the usual smile of a Southwest agent, but by the two ladies behind the counter, literally ARGUING about whom had taken the others' pen. Seriously?!?! Then, the inevitable--the $20 fee to check ONE bag! On Southwest, I check two pieces of luggage FREE!!! Once through security, their boarding process was simple enough, and I was glad to be in Group 2, but it was comical watching the other passengers lug suitcases as large as the one I had checked onto the plane and try to make them fit in the storage compartment! I suppose this was to avoid the $20 fee! And, that overhead space was at a premium--I barely had room for my computer bag, but I had already stashed my camera bag under the seat in front of me.

The flight was smooth; we actually arrived early. However, the flight attendants sounded like robots; didn't smile; say thank you for flying with them. We did have our choice of water, coffee or apple juice--no ice for the juice or water, though.

On the return to KC, is when I about really lost it! I got to the counter to check in at DFW, to be greeted by a man who could have been Barney Fife's great nephew--not poking fun, just trying to give you a visual--he had his pants hiked up; tie tucked way down into his pants and all six hairs slicked way back. I handed him my photo ID and told him I was going to KC, and he wanted to charge me $270! Way more than my original ticket, which was paid for. I questioned him; he typed; the security announcements came over the loud speakers and he cupped both hands over his ears. He typed some more; said yep, I owed them; I said, no, please may I speak to a supervisor; he called someone, but had to put the phone down to cover his ears AGAIN during the next set of announcements. He finally got it figured out that I didn't owe for anything for my bag, which he made me weigh in three different positions--standing, on its side and flat--always weighing 42.2 pounds. I know my suitcase, and Purplicious never weighs over 50 pounds. About 45 minutes later, I got my boarding pass and was on my way, but as soon as I got settled at the gate area, they paged me. Yep, Barney thought I took too many pieces of paper. He was getting off his shift, and couldn't find his copy of my receipt for the checked baggage. I had to prove to the lady, who was very friendly, that I only had mine.

Now, I did have a cheap ticket, less that $200, but customer service on the ground and in the air, is not a strong suit for this airline. I can hardly wait for my next 3 work trips--they are already booked on Southwest, an airline known for their customer service, short turn around time, and no checked luggage fees. It will be like coming home!

2 comments:

  1. Agreed!! Atleast they didn't make you sit by a criminal....I LOVE SOUTHWEST!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love southwest too! its almost all we fly, and get free flights quite a bit too!

    ReplyDelete