Friday, January 8, 2010

Mother Nature and Me

I'm starting to think that Ma Nature has a problem with me traveling to Denver. First, she gave me low visibility leaving my grandparents when I was supposed to fly to Phoenix for an ROV show right after Christmas. Then, Wednesday night/Thursday morning she visited the Midwest with the RAWEST, most bitter winds I think I've ever experienced as I was ready to leave St. Joseph in a loaded down 12-passenger van destined to Denver for this year's National Western.


I woke up Thursday morning, to 2-feet drifts in front of my house (south side), but my little Saturn got through the north side alley, to the office. I-29 was brutal, and I was a little afraid, but then I remembered my #1 co-pilot, God, and about 8:30, he and I and a van full of computer equipment, show awards, sale books, trade show booths and cloths, a blanket, snow shovel and bottled water headed south on I-29. It took me 1 1/2 hours to go the first 50 miles, to the Legends or Speedway area for those familiar, and I saw more than 30 cars and at least 6 semis in the ditches and median. I was creeping along about 35mph, reciting Psalm 23 frontward and backward and my knuckles were as white as the snow and ice covered road I was driving on. No, I wasn't blessed with an overload of common sense, just a lot of stubbornness and will power. I was only afraid twice when the van got a little squirly in the wind. When I headed west, the roads weren't totally covered in white, and about half way through Kansas, the roads became dry, and it was back to normal speeds for me and Gold (the van).



I-70 when I headed West

I appreciate my friends, family and co-workers who checked in on my during my drive, sent up prayers and posted words of encouragement to Facebook. Right now, I'm not planning to drive to Denver again until July for our National Junior Angus Show. I wonder what Mother Nature will have in store for me then?

No comments:

Post a Comment