Wednesday, February 3, 2010

State Fair Tourist

I really don't know too many people who attend more cattle shows and fairs than I do on annual basis, and no that is not something I'm boasting about. I'm merely stating a fact. I don't have a hard "show road" life; up in the wee hours--washing, rinsing, brushing, blowing, feeding, clipping, poop scooping, making tie outs and repeating it all again tomorrow. But, I wouldn't say I have a cush job either--tattoo checking, rule enforcing, class breaking, people pleasing, lining up, ring working, picture taking, and show reporting, and doing it all again the next week. It really does break my heart when I have to disqualify an entry for a wrong tattoo or no tattoo or anything--I do have a heart contrary to what you've heard or seen.

But, today, and the next two days, I'm at a new show for me, and that doesn't happen often. I'm at the Florida State Fair. We checked in nearly 80 in the youth show and more than 100 in the open show today, and I soaked up every ray of 60 degree sun I could. But when check-in was over, I became a tourist. That's right, friends:
ME+CAMERA PHONE+EARED BREEDS=STATE FAIR TOURIST

You see, I had seen the Brahmans unloading when we arrived this morning, and I LOVE THEM! I have loved them ever since my first trip to V8 Ranch for the big judging work out on the way to Houston. Setting all practically aside, I adore their beautiful eyes, their long ears and even their humps. So, Rachel and Catherine, if you are reading this post, please don't laugh at me too hard. . .I've always been a little envious of you and your locale--and I would have gone through zillions of rolls of film shooting pictures of these beautiful creatures had I grown up where you did!

This bull was a natural poser for me, and this pair, the mama with the V8 brand on her hip just looked like they totally adored each other.




Now, onto my real NEW adventure. . .Miniature Zebus. I never had heard of this breed until today, and I think they are cute. Probably not real practical for most beef producers, but according to the information I compiled from numerous Web sites after I Googled them, they are a disease resistant breed that loves hot weather matures later in life. They get to be 300-500 pounds and ideally no more than 30-40 inches tall when measured right behind their hump. They are great for small acreages, young families, kids rodeo and pets. And the gentleman from Louisiana tried to sell me this multi-colored one today!! Bet my new neighbors would love that!!!

This little baby is only 5 months old--I thought it would be ideal for any of the nieces or nephews, but you know what they say about paybacks!! Some of the animals in the stalls were 5-7 years old! And they weren't cow-calf pairs.

So, these were my photos opps today. I also got to see Angus breeders Leroy Baldwin and William Graham's videos in the Florida Ag Hall of Fame exhibit, which was cool. All this excitement, and the fair doesn't officially kick off until tomorrow! I wonder what fun I'll have then!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment