Saturday, February 6, 2010

Random Acts of Kindness. . .

Today I was on both the giving and receiving end of a random act of kindness. . .and it definitely feels better to give than receive. You see, Saint Joseph is home to Grace House, a local not-for-profit agency that accepts used clothing, dishes, furniture, etc... and then gives these items to the needy in the community. For years I have donated to Goodwill, the DAV, Salvation Army and others, then my friend Sara Snider turned me onto the Grace House, and today was my second Saturday taking items down to them. The lady that runs GH seems truly grateful for the donations, wants to know what church I attend, and smiles at me, unlike the other places I have donated. When I told her I had drinking glasses and other kitchen items, a huge smile crossed her face and she said,"God Bless You." I asked her if I could bring her my loveseat and chairs when my new living room furniture arrived, and she started tearing up. That's when I knew I made a difference.

Later in the day, I stopped by one of my favorite St. Joe establishments, BWW, for lunch and a beer while watching the K-State basketball game and taking a break from the office. My second beer didn't show up on my tab, but Samantha, my waitress informed me that it had been bought for me. Now, this rare Saturday at home is what I call a "natural day of beauty"--shower, brush my teeth and put hair in in a ponytail--no makeup; no hairspray; no way! Who would want to buy me a beer?? Turned out to be Mike, a workaholic, who was preparing perhaps his final work document, as he is expected to be bought out by his company on Monday. No, he wasn't hitting on me--he's happily married, and told me about his kids and growing up on his family's dairy in Northern Minnesota. He just thought I looked lonely. He's right. But, it felt odd to have someone do something nice for me.

So, today I challenge you, commit random acts of kindness. Buy the coffee for the person behind you in the Starbucks drive-thru; buy someone a beer because they look lonely--they probably are; or donate items that you get no use out of to a good cause. It is amazing how good being kind will make you feel!

No comments:

Post a Comment