Monday, February 15, 2010

You never know until you try

I always say I will try anything except sky diving once. Well, last night I tried something new--ice skating! You see BB/BS had a match party at Bode Ice Arena and about 30 minutes previously I was matched with my new "little" Kathleen. She's a hoot, and there will be more about her in future blogs. I thought, to myself as other "bigs" stood around and watched I am never going to try ice skating at any younger age than right now. So, I asked for my size 10s, strapped in and the first thing that I said when I stepped on the ice--"Wow, it's slick!" Thank you, Captain Obvious!

It took me about 20 minutes to get around the rink the first lap, during which I used this walker looking appuratus, which was pretty worthless for tall people! Then, this little hot shot kid who looked about 6 came up to me and said, "Watch me do a 180!" I wasn't impressed! After the first lap, I decided I might do better solo, and I did cut my time in half!

Although, I doubt I'll be called for the next Winter Olympic skating team, I had fun, and participated. I could have watched Kathleen, Robin and Alexys and the rest of the world pass me by from the comfort of my flat soled shoes, but I got out of my comfort zone, and jumped in feet first. And, after all. . .isn't that what life is all about?

So, next time you are in a situation you are not sure about, just take a leap of faith! Say a prayer and go for it! You never know until you try, and you know, now that I've tried skating, I think Kathleen and I will do it again sometime!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Shelia! Glad you have found a new "little" too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! And you didn't even fall. It's definately on our list to go back!

    ReplyDelete