Thursday, April 1, 2010

Here's Your Sign

During the course of my lifetime, I have put on hundreds of thousands of miles in my travels; perhaps even a million by now if you combine my trips to livestock shows and sales while growing up, FFA, 4-H and junior and senior college judging trips and all my travels representing American Angus the past 11+, not to mention the personal trips to see friends, family and the world.

Today, while driving on a stretch of I-80 that I’ve driven countless times heading West outside of Lincoln, I encountered a travel first. It was like any other day with my tunes cranked up, big diet soda and a bag of cheap gas station popcorn and my favorite “alone travel game” of looking over and trying to figure out the driver next to me and what his or her life story might be when I pass someone on the interstate.

So there I was, about 4 in the afternoon, driving and talking to my mom, and passing Mr. Truck Driver. It didn’t take me long to figure out his story. He shared it loud and clear for me on an 8 ½ x11 yellow sign with bold black letters he held up on his side window when I passed him, “SHOW YOUR BOOBS”. Yeah I stared and my little blue Saturn hit the rumble bars on the left side of 80 because I wasn’t sure that I had read the sign correctly. But as I passed him and pulled my car in front of the shiny semi, the dark haired bearded man was waving his yellow sign in his front windshield at me, loud and clear.

Although somewhat disgusting and perverse, I couldn’t help but laugh! My mom, on the other end of the phone wanted to know what was going on, and I don’t think she was pleased either. She commented that obviously Mr. Driver had been away from home a little too long. I figured out his story right away. Although, I don’t agree with his sign or what he was doing, Mr. Truck Driver definitely added some spice to a stretch of road that gets pretty boring after a while. So, thank you Mr. T.D. for giving me a lot to think about today and breaking up the monotony of the trip. I sure hope you found what you were looking for!

No comments:

Post a Comment