Saturday, April 10, 2010

Good for the Body & Soul

I finally found a workout regime that is enjoyable, doesn’t require a gym membership and lets you have a little fun at the same time. I know…how do all those things happen at once? Well, last week I had a “play date” with 4 ½ year-old Wryder at the Sargent Park, and four days later, my muscles are still telling me how much they hate me!

I had no idea basic playground equipment would be such a good workout, but then I started analyzing it. First, we hit the swings. Pumping our legs back in forth to see who could go higher had to do something! Then, on to the teeter totter, which I think did the most for my leg muscles. Since I outweigh Wryder by 100 + pounds, it was all my legs pumping him up and down, and every once and a while I got some arm action into it too.



Then, he tricked me into playing on this brightly colored piece of equipment. First we did the “bumpy slide” and it took only once to discover his is not for full figured women! But I kept climbing the steps to do the little slide so his mom, Jen, could get photos.



Finally, I attempted the bars…you know how you hang and climb from bar to bar, like there are sharks swimming below you! HA HA HA!! I could barely hang on!! I had those mastered in grade school, but let’s face it. . .it’s been a few years since those days at Cottonwood Creek.

SO, instead, I helped Wryder, again working on my upper strength training.


Overall, it was great being a kid again! And, I believe it was great for some muscle toning too! So, if you see me at the park sometime soon, just remember I’m getting in a workout. . .both for my body and soul. Sometimes, you just gotta be a kid!

1 comment: