Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!

It's the one thing we all have in common--we all live on this EARTH--but we only celebrate Earth Day once a year?!?! I find this slightly ironic. But, it's on my calendar, April 22: Earth Day. As someone who grew up on ranches in Nebraska and with the majority of my family whose sole livelihood depends on agriculture, we have been celebrating the Earth for many, many days.

Each holiday when four generations of farmers, ranchers, Angus Association employee (me) and County Extension Agricultural Educator (my dad) are seated around my grandparents' dining room table, the topics of conversation center around the prices of land, cattle, wheat, and fuel. We talk about the challenges that face farmers and ranchers, and we talk about the consumers and how to better educate them. Sometimes it gets pretty heated around that table, but it's real life for our family.

So, while the rest of the world is celebrating the one thing we all have in common today, I challenge you to celebrate the Earth each and every day. If you are in agriculture, I know you already do. Farmers and ranchers are original stewards of the land. If they don't care for the land and the animals that live on the land, their livelihood doesn't survive. If you don't live on the land, thank a farmer or rancher who provides the food you eat or the fiber for the clothes on your back. They'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment