Saturday, December 26, 2009

Road Warrior

Today I made a decision that defied the advice of my grandparents and uncle and even made me question my own common sense for about 20 minutes. But, being the analytical person I am, I had begun my Internet research in the wee hours of the morning looking into Nebraska and Colorado weather and road conditions, and texting friends in northeastern Colorado. I knew if I could get the first 45 miles, I was home free (or at least had a shot of getting to DIA for my Sunday flight to Phoenix with a forecast in the 60s)!

Well, the worst part was I had to wait for cousin Justin to bring the loader tractor in to make a path through the yard to the highway to even leave my grandparents house. Then, with God as my co-pilot and lots of prayers, my little Saturn made that left-hand turn and headed south. And what did I see??? White and lots of it. . .snow packed roads, snow blowing across the road at 25-40 mph. And I crept along in zero visibility for about 10 miles like that. When I turned south at the 16 mile corner (16 miles North of Alliance) it was like I entered another world: the sun was shining, no snow blowing and the roads were clear! Thanks, God!

One more detour occurred when I got to I-80 at Sidney. . .yep, those gates were across the on ramp headed West--80 was closed! But, my trusty little Garmin took me on Hwy 19, a scenic route, to Sterling, and all is well! I made it in the daylight all with a trusty Saturn, a good little Garmin and God in control!

Yes, life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment