Friday, June 11, 2010

YCC: Life Changing Experience

Ok, so one week ago I wrote about the first three days of the Young Cattlemen's Conference (YCC) conference that I was attending.
Little did I know that the best was yet to come.



The trip was intense. We slept a little, traveled a lot, experienced much and made friendships to last a lifetime. We toured feedlots in our shit kickin' boots, and made our way to Capitol Hill in business suits to talk to our respective state congressmen and senators to be a voice for the beef industry. We toured the plant where McDonald's hamburger patties are formed and we watched as the Chicago Board of Trade opened on Monday morning. We drank beer. We danced. We tried tongue, and other cuts of meat that are usually exported.

We exchanged ideas and shared information. We rode in buses, airplanes, and even crammed 22 of us in a 12 passenger van. We shared cabs and we shared rooms. And, in the end we are stronger in our beef industry knowledge, leadership and communications skills. We heard from people who work at NCBA, USDA, FAS, USMEF, JBS, OSI and CAB. We supported the PAC--oh man did I support the PAC! We graduated with our MBAs (Masters of Beef Advocacy) and we survived YCC.

I wish I could give a day-by-day and play-by-play account of this trip. I could talk about it for days, and I will, so don't get me started unless you really care and have a lot of time. I would encourage any of you involved in the beef business to GET INVOLVED. Join NCBA. Apply with your state affilliate or the Angus Foundation to attend YCC. It is an experience that will change your life. I know it did mine.



This entry is dedicated to my classmates: 2010 YCC, you are the best and brightest in the beef industry. Thanks for sharing 10 days and many memories with me!

4 comments:

  1. So glad you took the opportunity to experience this Shelia! I'd love to hear more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie, It was a great experience!! Exhausting but great! I thought I had a pretty broad understanding of the industry based on the educational events I plan, but I learned a TON more! Can't wait to see you and catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - What positive passion for the experience. The beef industry is lucky to have people like you!! Teri Svoboda

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can go into detail if you want. I just wanted to see how many people actually have had a life changing experience.Mine would have to be when I met my best friend. They really have changed my life. I can really say if it weren't for them, I would be really lost right now. What about you? What was your experience?

    ReplyDelete