Sunday, June 27, 2010

Life Lessons at a Cattle Show

I always get a little sad when I leave a weekend cattle show; especially a junior show. Maybe it's the camaraderie; maybe it's the enthusiasm. It definitely isn't the hair, hay and wood chips that I'm allergic to. This weekend the Illinois Junior Angus Association hosted the Eastern Regionals, and it was somewhat nostalgic for me, as I reflected on some of the life lessons I learned while participating in 4-H, FFA and Junior Hereford programs. Here are some of those lessons combined with some observations from the weekend.

1--Responsibility: I didn't spend my summers in front of the TV or playing video games. I got up every morning, fed, rinsed, and made sure the lambs and cattle had water and shade. I exercised my lambs every night and practiced showmanship with my heifers and my dad each evening. When I was real little, my parents made me set on a 5-gallon bucket and read out loud to my lambs as a way for them to get used to me.

2--Work ethic: Sure I tubed the Niobrara River almost daily, but AFTER my work was done. And, I learned that if something was worth doing, it was worth doing right the first time.

3--Competition: We went to progress shows nearly every weekend, and my dad taught me if I didn't want to get beat, we could stay home. And, if we did get beat there would be a different judge the next weekend to offer his or her opinion of our animals. Nothing is more discouraging to me today, than to hear a parent say to a child, exiting the showring, "that judge is just stupid; we have bigger shows to win anyway." Parents, please try to teach your kids to win gracefully and lose gracefully.

4--Team work: This weekend, I witnessed a girl show a heifer for one of her "competitors" who had two heifers in the same class, then turn around and show her own heifer in the next class against the same girl who had another heifer in that following class as well. That takes integrity in my book; way to go Jessica R!

5--Family togetherness: My parents and I took two vacations that didn't involve cattle or sheep shows and sales--one when I was 4 to the Black Hills and one when I was 22 to South Texas. Enough said.

Yes, these livestock projects offer a lot of benefits to young people. They did 25 years ago, and they still do today. I hope they remain in tact for years to come, and I hope I am part of them in some way or another.

1 comment:

  1. Classic comments, I think we all get smarter with age and experience, well almost all of us do....lol

    ReplyDelete