Saturday, May 15, 2010

Girls and horses. . .Life IS Good.

As a girl, I LOVED horses! I collected the Breyer horses, loved to ride and thought I was a real cowgirl out on those Nebraska Sandhills riding Lucky, my little pony along with my mom and dad and the ranch hands when it came time to round up cattle. When I was having a bad day, I could count on Lucky to listen to my problems or my mom's mare, Penny. It was like they understood little girls, and I understood them. And, as I've gotten older, it seems like most little girls I know adore horses too. So, I wasn't too surprised when the Big Sisters/Big Brothers coordinator Tiffany contacted me about an opportunity for me and Kathleen to join her and some other "vulnerable" littles at the Broken Creek Youth Ranch for some group equine therapy.

I had no idea what we'd do when we arrived. All I did know was there would be no actual riding, and I was so thankful the weather had held last Thursday when we arrived for our therapy session. Three matches, and two mares were paired up, and each "little" was given a side of the horse to brush if the little so desired, and then paint whatever she was feeling that day. The "bigs" were instructed to keep quiet (torture, I know), and observe. So, Kathleen grabbed her brush and started giving Sassy a thorough brushing while I tried to stay out of the path of blowing dead horse hair. My allergies were already mad at me for being outside; I didn't figure I should add horse hair and dander to the mix. She brushed and brushed and brushed some more. Finally, she painted. She painted a small, but cheerful smiley face on the hip of Sassy. Then, she loved on another mare in the pen the rest of the time we were there. The youth ranch coordinator had the littles tell why the painted what they did--all a lesson in communication skills. It was one of the coolest things I think Kathleen and I have done together.

None of the girls wanted to leave. All of them loved the horses. But, then what girl doesn't love horses? I really hope we get to go back there, and I hope other matches have the same opportunity we did. Girls and horses. Together they speak a language all their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment