Thursday, April 16, 2015

Best Day Ever


Today, April 15, is a special day in our family.  It is my grandparents’ wedding anniversary.  And though they are no longer here on Earth to celebrate with, I know this year they are celebrating together in Heaven for the first time since Grandpa passed away several years ago.

Today is also a special day to me.  And I suspect most Wednesdays will be from here forward.  You see, just three weeks ago, I married my soul mate.  It truly was to this point, the best day ever.  We did things a lot like my grandparents did 68 years ago.  We went to the county court house, just like they did.  Our wedding was a simple one without a lot of elaborate fanfare, but we were surrounded by family and friends and made a solemn vow to stick together through better or worse.

This week in my Bible study group, we looked at 1 Corinthians chapters 12 & 13.  For those of you not familiar, Chapter 13 is the love chapter.  And I want to pay tribute to my grandparents today, on what would be their 68th anniversary.

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

I always admired my grandparents, and I know I’ve written about them before on this blog.  I even started this blog at their house many years ago.  They totally illustrate what is written in the above scripture, verses 4-7.  They were patient with each other, they never gave up and their love endured.  Sure it might have been easy for my grandma to give up when taking care of her soulmate during his later, sick years.  But she didn’t.  She loved unconditionally.  Was Grandpa always thrilled when Grandma brought home another trunk full of treasures from a garage sale or auction?  Probably not, but his love was a patient love.

So although I am only three weeks into this adventure of marriage, I am so thankful to have had great role models like my grandparents.  I know marriage isn’t an easy task.  But at 41 ¾- years old, I feel like I waited for the exact right person that God designed to be in my life. StanLee is a rock, a strong silent type that actually reminds me a little bit of my grandpa - he is smart, a hard worker and puts up with me even when I probably don’t deserve it.

 

March 25, 2015.  It will always be in my mind, THE best day ever.  The day my life became whole and the day I gained a husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment