Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Always Say Thank You

When do you say thank you?

I came home tonight so excited to pack for one of my biggest and most exciting trips of the year—the National Western Stock Show. But now I’m setting on my bed, tears streaming down my face. I just read two Facebook posts that my longtime friend and mentor Price Harrison, from the Angus News, passed away today, and all I can think, is “did I ever tell him thank you?”

Price owned and published the "Angus News" or AN, as we called it back in my PR days from Dowelltown, TN, and I don’t know that he’s ever charged a nickel for a subscription, but for a summer PR intern, it was a great place to get portfolio material, because you see Price publishes everything the PR department sends out. And, my year as an intern I went to the TN preview show, so I got to meet him in person. He was one of the nicest and kindest gentlemen I ever will know. And, I can still see him in his green sport coat setting in the stands at the North American just above the back drop with his wave and a kiss being blown down to me.

But as I think about the 11 years I sent Price Angus news for his “Angus News” I wonder, did I ever thank him for putting up with an up and coming communicator? Have I ever thanked other mentors like Evan Slack who knows my roots and never fails to mention them, when trying to sell me an ad for the National Conference or NWSS Bull Sale? These are veteran communicators who although might not have taught me the 5 W’s and H, but have taught me the people skills needed in this business.

We get so “busy, busy, busy”. And then, our mentors are gone. And we have to eulogize them, and not just reminisce with them. I have had mentors at the Association that taught me to “be kinder than necessary” and others to “always talk to a stranger, because they might be the next bull customer.” Have I thanked these men? I just can’t remember, but I know I am running out of time.

No, I don’t grieve well. Those of who have followed my blog, have probably discovered that. But writing helps, so thanks for bearing with me. I think I’ll sign off now. I have a few thank you notes to write now…

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for helping all of us remember Price. He was unique in every sense of the word. I've never met very folks who so positive. . . all the time. This morning I am praying for Price, but also for Janet and Hart, I know it must be really tough for them.

    Please be careful going to and at Denver, I know you will. Thanks for writing, the Bible verses


    PHIL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post b/c it just reminded me I haven't remembered to thank my mother-in-law for my Christmas gifts! That is horrible of me!!!!

    Life is too short to not say "i love you" and "thank you"!!! Enjoy Denver..... I might make an apprearance, I just don't know if my boss will let me:) If he does, he will get a giant THANK YOU!!! Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great post and some wonderful comments. It makes everyone stop and think.

    ReplyDelete