Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Wanted: My Christmas Spirit

Eleven days and counting until the biggest day of the year, and I can't seem find my Christmas Spirit anywhere! Oh, I've gone through the motions--purchased and wrapped every gift on my list; mailed the ones that needed mailed; wrote and sent the annual letter; listened to Christmas music in the car, home and office. I even set out my Nativity scene and decided against putting away my decorations at home until AFTER Christmas this year (I usually don't like coming home from the ROV show in Phoenix after New Year's faced with cleaning the decorations before Denver!). I even made it to the church Christmas program where I saw Ella as an Angel sing so many wonderful songs. I just can't seem to find my Christmas Spirit anywhere!

I have a pretty good life. I have a roof over my head, my health, a full belly and a car that runs. I have family and friends. I have no reason to run around like the Grinch. And, I'm not even grumpy. I go through the motions of exchanging gifts. I bought countless gifts for the adopt-a-family at work; I bought a toy for the Angel tree at church. I am thankful for the blessings in my life and that I can give. I just wish I could find my Christmas Spirit.

I have been wearing socks with candy canes and snowmen and wreaths on them. I even wore a jingle bell bracelet last Friday. I'm trying to be festive. I read my friend's KCK Christmas blog, and that helped a little, as I thought of some of my Christmas' long ago. But then I slept, and during that sleep, I lost my Christmas Spirit.

I sincerely hope that somewhere over the (Missouri or Niobrara) river and through the woods (or Halsey Forest) on my way to Grandma's house on this Sunday, as I take a few days of R&R to spend with the grandparents I find my Spirit. I know my Grandma has three things on her agenda when I get there: 1)playing cards, 2) cooking and 3) eating. And, none of those will help me find my Christmas Spirit; I'll just get fatter and sassier.

So, if you have any ideas on how to catch the Christmas Spirit, please let me know. I hope this doesn't happen to you. After all, it is the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

1 comment:

  1. You will find your spirit, I know you will. I love all the things you have done for others! I haven't done anything this year for others:( Now I am motivated to get out there and give to others!

    ReplyDelete